Have you ever wondered what bad breath is and what causes it? Although it can often be misconstrued as smells arising from foods you eat, bad breath is often the result of bacterial odors that emanate from your mouth. Bad breath can be caused by a variety of underlying conditions including infection in your mouth, such as toothaches, or disorders that lie deeper in your body. Listed below are some basic facts about bad breath, which is also known as halitosis:
– Bad breath is typically the result of not brushing or flossing your teeth on a daily basis.
– Ailments deep within the body, including liver problems, kidney malfunctions, and respiratory tract infections, can cause bad breath.
– If you do suffer from bad breath, try taking mouthwash to see if it is simply the result of foods in your mouth, and not a deeper, underlying condition.
– Excessive plaque buildup in your mouth can be the cause of your bad breath.
– Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is often linked to cases of bad breath, as the odors are the result of infections with gum tissue.
– Dentures are a known cause of bad breath if they are not cared and cleaned for on a nightly basis.
– The medications you may be taking could contain bad breath as a typical side effect.
Dr. Chad S Burt at Chad S. Burt DMD & Kyle W. Dimond DDS wants to ensure your smile shines no matter what condition it is in. If you are thinking about seeking professional halitosis treatment, please contact our dentist office in Midvale, Utah, by calling us at 801-255-3578. We look forward to hearing from you soon!